Thursday, December 23, 2010

Why I Love Tongans

Since it's summer break down in the Pacific, life pace is a bit slow. I'd had enough lounging by lunch yesterday, after my rice exploded onto my stove, so I decided to get some essentials from one of the falekoloa's (store) in my village. I'd met the faifakatau (shopkeeper), a sweet old lady, the other day while I moseyed through, so I decided to repay a visit.
I bought $15 worth of groceries, and I swear she gave me $20 worth of fruit. 1 melon (oh yeah, they have watermelons here! It's awesome!), 2 faina (pineapples), and a HUGE bundle of bananas.
Tongans are awesome.

Later in the day, I went to the town officer's house (I swear his family may adopt me soon) for dinner, which was kumala Hawaii (my fav.), a slab of fried fish fillet, and a lobster. It was pretty darn 'ifo (delicious), so I went back home feeling good about food. I decided to attempt making bread like my host mom in Ha'apai did...
in a nutshell, it didn't rise and I put too much oil in, but I added some flour and decided to make something cinnamon-y. I thought about the Amish cinnamon bread my mom used to make, but it seemed way complicated in my head. Plus the dough was already mixed and there was no way I could mix in other ingredients...plus, I had no eggs.
On a whim, I mixed cinnamon and sugar together, rolled out the dough on a plate, and sprinkled the cinn-sugar onto the dough, rolling it up, and slicing it into my little baking pans.
My accidental cinnamon rolls came out decent, so this morning I boiled some milk and sugar for some icing...a bit clumpy, but it tasted like...milk and sugar icing.
So I had some delicious tea with cinnamon rolls this morning for breakfast. And that is the tale of my accidental cinnamon rolls. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment