Saturday, January 29, 2011

Glutton for Punishment

Food poisoning, boils, a weird big-toe issue... and before I came to 'Eua, I had a bad case of fakalele, an ear infection, and other random weird illnesses/injuries.
Now, after one gluttonous day of swimming Palangi style (which means in a real swimsuit, not covered up with a tshirt and shorts), I am a piece of white-bread toast. My one piece I got from Kohl's for $8 is totally awesome; however, the parts I revealed (gasp!) hadn't seen sun in probably close to a year now... mayonnaise- colored thighs and back... now the mayonnaise has been doused in red pepper.
I slept last night with my fan on as high as possible (although the stupid mosquito net blocks some of it), and I had to sleep on my stomach... I HATE sleeping on my stomach. My back is too sensitive-sore, and the sides of my back, by my armpit, are so tender they feel bruised.
I feel like a roasted puaka.
I layered sunscreen on 3 different times, in the morning before my 1-hr-40-min bikeride to the beach, which is on the farthest part of the island, once when we got to the beach, and then once when we came back in from playing stupidly on the blowholes, which were AWESOME! (I got cool pics...I'll post them soon.)
Anyway, the day was worth it--especially since we ate breakfast for dinner afterward and had wonderful "Christmas Blend" coffee. But now, I'm suffering the pains of a severe sunburn. As of now, I feel no blisters, so I should be okay. But for someone who hasn't been to a beach for this type of sunbathing in probably 2-3 years, my poor mayonnaise thighs were shocked. It even got burned on the sides of my thighs, my "haunches", I call them, where I lay on my side to sleep... ohhhh, faka 'ofa. How sad.
BUT... I do have lotion with Aloe, though not real aloe itself. I may have to take a lot of bucket baths since it's now hotter than it's been in a while--especially after the cyclone weather that brought cool breezes and colder rain.
ANyway, teaching starts tomorrow! I think the first couple of days will be nothing... mostly cleaning out the rooms and organizing things. I will teach Class 4 every day, but I have Class 3 only 3 days a week. HOpefully my night class for HS students will begin soon, and I think my PTA meeting is tomorrow with the town officer and treasurer... then I will know what they want me to work on as far as community projects!
Okay, my red-pepper-paprika-mayonnaise-covered self (I do look like a candy cane, by the way) is heading back to mi casa to make some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment