Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Life: a Quick Update

-I ran out of gas for my stove last night. Faka 'ofa. It'll be PB&Js and whatever nice Tongan wants to donate pre-cooked food.
-My birthday is next Sunday. Woah. Where did March come from?
-My back is annoying right now. It started hurting on the way back from a long hike... Kim and I got lost for a couple hours, but we headed to a beautiful lookout above the cliffs near where I live. It was beautiful! But my back started spasming and doing other crazy things. My bed doesn't help... I flattened my refrigerator box and stuck it under my "mattress" to give it support so it won't sag. It helped a little. Sleeping was bad the first 3 nights.
-Teaching is getting more normal for me, though I still don't have my resources from PC yet. Few resources kinda suck... but my school now has a copier! Woohoo!
-On Saturday, my fellow Group 76ers on 'Eua and I will bury a time capsule, which will be dug up during our COS (close of service) conference in Sept/Oct. of next year. I'm pretty pumped.
-Things I've sewn: a pillowcase for a pillow, my skirt, and half a pillowcase for another pillow.
-I badly need to do laundry. I've been goin' commando for nearly a week now. (You'd be surprised how refreshing this act is on a tropical island. Even if I DO have clean underwear, I still go commando sometimes. Sorry Mom--you and Dad are probably thinking, 'Oh that child...she'll say/do anything!')
-I'm almost finished with LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, and I love it! Why have I not read it before now? I need to find copies of the 2nd and 3rd immediately!
-I was tricked into being a tou'a (kava server) on Wednesday. I was told that a feast started at 2:30, but that I should be there at 2. I thought it was peculiar since Tongans are never told to be early anywhere... I get there at 2 in the middle of a kava circle. I was slightly pissed. ESPECIALLY when I, who had not eaten lunch out of such anticipation for this feast, sat for 2 hours in one position. That's right, 2 hours. We sat down at 4, and started eating around 4:30. Jamie was not a happy camper that day.
-Friday is a koniseti (concert, for all intents and purposes), which is actually like a dance to raise money. This time, they're raising money for the school... and to pay my electricity/water bills. This makes me feel guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment