Sunday, July 3, 2011

Back from a Remote Island

After a much-needed 2 week school break (4 days on an gorgeous uninhabited island called Uoleva), I'm back at site and...not quite refreshed due to a severe head cold and, of course, vegetable shortage.
BUT things are pretty cool. I worked at the first Camp GLOW of the year in Ha'apai, where my 2 month training took place, and absolutely fell IN LOVE with the camp.
I tie-dyed my first shirt(s), played ukulele for the girls, watched amazing dances, heard (and half-understood) some wonderful strong Tongan women describe many issues and circumstances they have faced and overcome in a patriarchal society, danced with new GLOW friends, got little sleep, and then camped out and lazed on the beach after all was over. Sounds pretty amazing. Because it was!

So. Dear friends. My next blog will be much more fulfilling, but I must beg you to check out the Peace Corps Partnership Program website to fundraise for the first Camp GLOW in 'Eua in september.... we need about $2600 and are getting a bit desperate. So if you can forward mass emails or ask co-workers, church groups, or any circle of friends (especially feminists!...haha) if they are interested in donating, your effort can help us make the first camp in 'Eua exactly what it needs to be: empowered by encouragement from those who give the support to girls who don't get encouraged very often.
Please and thank you!

https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.donatenow&keyword=Kilchenmann


Cheers and blessings,
Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jamie, just wanted to let you know I made a donation to Camp Glow 'Eua. I missed out on donating to Tongatapu, so did one for Vava'u a while back, then saw your posting, so figured I would keep things even! Glad you had a nice time on your break, saw John's pictures so it was nice to see my daughter too! Looks so beautiful. Hope your cold gets better. Best, Kaitlin's mom

    ReplyDelete