Monday, November 14, 2011

As Long As There's a Tango

The gruff, angry voice of the Unconscious Argentenian from Moulin Rouge is in my ears; accompanying him are weeping, hasty violins that cut through your nerves with hot precision. Cellos or the next size bigger (always forget...stand up bass? I'm terrible) are swooping across in a dramatic VROOMP of fashion. Then pause. A violon quietly finagles over the strings, then chaos, dissonance, shrill, sharp notes with a building backdrop of emotional strings... and Ewan McGregor BELTS his emotional turmoil into the empty street, the balcony where his love is standing and suffering beneath disgusting hands of a sugar daddy.

I just took the biggest deep breath/sigh combination of my LIFE.
I've been listening to this soundtrack for an hour now and I cannot stop THINKING about musicals. Last night my friend Stephanie, who went to college in NY, was telling me about her plethora of attended musicals on and off-Broadway, and I just melted into a musical trance of wishful thinking.
From age 4, while turning cartwheels and singing Whitney Houston down our small hallway, I felt an affinity with music. Even now, nearing 20 years later, you've only experienced the true Jamie if you've had a conversation in which I've sang at least one sentence. I sing to everything, with everything. If I don't have a handy bottle, brush, or spatula, an arm/hand/foot will suffice for a makeshift microphone.

Throughout daily life, musical pieces often fill my mind with relevant circumstances.
In order to recover from a rut of low self-esteem or feelings of inadequacy, my go-to number is "Confidence" from The Sound of Music.

When I smart off to a cheeky Tongan via a surprising criticism in the Tongan language, "He Had It Comin'/The Cell Block Tango'" from Chicago pops into my brain, along with sexy Catherine Zeta Jones and her red-lipsticked snarl.
Since romance isn't much of a staple in my life, I find myself singing "Maybe This Time" from Cabaret anytime I'm cooking. I sing it A LOT. I'm not sure why. But here is the link from the movie, a young Liza Minnelli.

When any trait of defiance, hippiness, strong independence, resistence, rebelliousness, etc. triumph in my life, "La Vie Bohem" (Rent...did you even have to ask?) leads me finding a big, long table to march over, philosophizing about Nietzche while demanding equality, AIDS awareness, and...."WINE AND BEER!"

In my once-rare but now-consistent sappy/sentimental mood, "People Will Say We're In Love" from Oklahoma has me digging through my computer for Frank's version. Sigh.
In my spurts of Southernisms and missing home, "Man of Constant Sorrow" from 'O Brother Where Art Thou? is a MUST. "I bid farewell to old Kentucky, the place where IIIIIIIIIIIII was born and raised." That's right!

I need a musical in my life. In fact, I'm contemplating if a musical can be written in an impatient sense of boredom with a lone ukulele.
Now I need a title. I hear South Pacific's already taken. (Scoff.) Rodgers and Hammerstein. Stupid posers.

No comments:

Post a Comment