Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Faka-Malo, Illustrated

Though I begrudgingly biked to work, tempted to call in sick so I could celebrate Thanksgiving faka-America, I feel like being faka-cheesy in writing some little snippets on things I’m glad to have in my life. And since I’ll be in Clean Life in 19 days, I’m writing just as many thankfuls. Hopefully the illustrations will keep this from being as excruciating as those sappy inspirational novels.
*Please note that these aren't particularly in order of importance. Except for #1. And #4, too.
#19: The unbelievable friendships I’ve made here totally rock my socks. So when I can’t wear boots, I love rockin’ socks.

#18: The technologically communicative world. Luckily, I’m in an age where most PCVs have cell phones (we were provided with one) and access to internet. Even more luckily, I have internet at work. Thank God I can keep in touch with my family!
#17: I’m thankful Cat can maneuver herself out of my walls. Since I’ve made her an outdoor cat, she instantly climbs up my screen door, into my roof, and meanders across my ceiling and down my walls to centralize her obnoxious meowing into none other than my bedroom. When I realized she might be stuck, my first thought was, “Great. Now she’ll die and it’s a stinky mess I won’t be able to clean up.” I’m such a great mom.

#16: The diversity I’ve encountered in Tonga has helped me to grow leaps and bounds. Even outside the diverse realm of Peace Corps, I’ve made friends of various backgrounds, ethnicities, religions, yada yada. This is the best way I’ve adopted acceptance into my character. Acceptance is probably my favorite virtue.
#15: Though I’m trying my best to know what goes on in the world and in the MotherLand, I am overwhelmingly thankful to live away from the foul political mess in the States. Maybe Tonga’s government is slightly corrupt, and maybe democracy will take a long time, but the campaigning bandwagon BS is a sliver of a fingernail compared to the big, strangling hand of American politics

#14: I’ve never been much of a fish despite my astrological sign, but the sea has been one of the biggest spiritual-inducers for me. I look into that big sashaying mass of depth, mystery and moods, and I just feel how wonderful God is. Every day I appreciate the power of creativity more and more.
#13: Sprite. Imported from Fiji, it’s made with real sugar and not corn starch! Woohoooo!

#12: Polynesian music and vocal harmonies. You’ve never heard anything like it—I promise.
#11: The Peace Corps staff is one of the friendliest groups of people I’ve ever met. Despite all my brain lapses (like forgetting paperwork), mishaps (falling while on a hike thus hurting my arm), and misfortunes (stupid lice), they’ve been nothing but a fun-loving, laid-back family.
#10: I have never been more proud or reminiscent of my Kentucky culture. When I have a vocal slip into countrified speech or southern colloquialisms, rather than covering my mouth, I just ‘grin like a ‘possum’ and say, “That’s right. I said it!” (*Note: grin like a ‘possum is a Teddy quote. He’s my dad )

#9: Praise be to Sisu that I’ve yet to get creamed by a motor vehicle while I’m riding my rickety bicycle that is slowly falling apart.
#8: I’ve never been more surrounded by positive, confident, powerful, lovely women. I recently had an epiphany that it was time I owned my womanhood, and these women help me embrace that.
#7: Government-provided health insurance. Best use it while it lasts!
#6: Living in ‘Eua for 7 months was one of the biggest growth experiences for me—I matured many moons by enduring hardships (and celebrating victories) in an outer village. Running water wasn’t the most consistent of amenities and I didn’t have a running toilet, but there I realized that my service here wasn’t about martyrdom. It was about relationships. People. Communication. Patience. Going with what I’m given.
#5: Voices. You know when you’ve moved into your own apartment or maybe you’re on a short holiday but you don’t feel well or have had a bad day? Sometimes to get out of that pit, all you need is a voice. On a lighter note, my entire family is notorious for impersonations…oh, how I miss my brother’s “Harry Carey”, my dad’s “Cookie Monster”, my mom’s late-night-slap-happy fit of giggles, my sister’s motivational speaking abilities, and the adorable, squeaky sopranos of my two nieces.

#4: Peanut Butter.

#3: Life options. I’m a single female in her early 20’s and I’m living on an island. For my next adventure, I could be a hippie in Portland, do grad school in Wyoming (huh?), tutor in Italy, meander through Southeast Asia where I’d meet the love of my life and get happily plump on awesome food, or write myself into insane and slightly self-centered oblivion. Yay opportunities!
#2: Music. The richness, the variety, the way it calls to my inner shreds of being beyond human. I’m often skeptical about praying (in a traditional sense,) and music has given me the conversational ability to express what I need and to enjoy the artwork of others.
#1: My family has done everything they can to get me home, never wavering in enthusiasm and determination. That is definitely the most beautiful gift this year. Love is brilliant.
So now that you’ve finished my cheese-fest, spread it around. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, eat yourself to a divine stupor, hold the hands of people you’d otherwise long for, embrace the opportunity to relax with family, and don’t even think about Black Friday shopping until the turkey, the cranberry sauce, the mashed potatoes, and all the pumpkin pies are only to be remembered by your grateful stomach or an occasional, sneaking burp.

1 comment:

  1. I was a crack addict my first year, backed off my second. Also, love the government health insurance too. Your drawings are the best.

    ReplyDelete