Sunday, December 19, 2010

Holy 'Eua Hills, Batman!

I'm currently at my town officer's house and I'm lucky. Most of 'Eua's internet is either sucky or nonexistent, so yay! I flew in this morning on an 8-seater plane that was so full, I sat in the front with the pilot! It was crazy awesome. The flight took all of 10 minutes, which was awesome, and I was greeted with fast-moving clouds that flirted with the hills and hiking extravaganzas of 'Eua.
I'm home! Woohoo!
My house is absolutely giNORMOUS. I wasn't expecting it at all. The town officer and his family are wonderful, wonderful people, and they offered to let me stay in their extra bedroom because I'm a single Palangi and they didn't want me to have 'ilifia (fear.) But I told them I was malohi (strong) and wasn't afraid. They still have to install a few things in my house (security wiring in the windows, some updates to water and my sima vai/water tank supply thingy). Other than that, I am home and happy!
I hope to go for a hiking adventure tomorrow with the other awesome PCVs here...there are 5 of us total, and we're a bit spaced out, but the island is about 14 miles long if I'm thinking correctly, with one main road, so it's all ridiculously close in American standards. However in Tonga, time and space and distance is a bit different.
My next moves are to get everything unpacked and organized (should be interesting, since those are 2 of my least favorite things to do,) and to get acquainted with this adorable town I live in. I think as of now, I will have bucket baths in stead of showers (faka 'ofa), but I can deal with that.
I think Christmas will be spent here with families and church, but hopefully dinner will be with the other PCVs, Palangi-style! (Only without the presents and Santa Clause hoopla.) I can't believe Christmas is less than a week. 'Oiaue!

No comments:

Post a Comment