Friday, December 10, 2010

I just ate a ginormous cinnamon roll for $1

My cinnamon roll was deliciously topped with chocolate and shredded coconut. I never wanted to live in the city, but I'm glad it's just a busride away. The bakery here is spectacular.
I just spent a week on Tongatapu where I was at my site for 2 days, then I spent "Attachment" with another volunteer and another trainee, who is a pretty awesome friend. We have this whole ESP power between us--it's glorious. Anyway, my attachment was great! I stayed with a girl from Virginia and the three of us had amazing conversations, laughs, and food! We had a noodle soup night, a pizza night (also with caramel pie and ice cream...ifo aupito!) and last night her neighbor cooked a feast and invited us, too. Here are some things at a typical feast:
'ota ika (raw fish), kumala (sweet potatoes), puaka tunu (roasted pig), ika fakapaku (fried fish), keke (a cake but different...some cook it in an umu, which is an underground, outdoor oven). There are many more things, but I'm tired and I can't think at the moment.
Oh and by the way, a typical Tongan feast is like the total dream of Fat Bastard from Austin Powers. There are lines of tables and at each meeting-point of each table, there is usually a roasted pig. Around the pig is--literally--STACKS and STACKS of plates covered with saran wrap. These plates are FILLED with different kinds of food. Luckily, the feasts I've been to had utensils, but faka-Tonga style is nima pe (just hands).
Anyway, we arrived in the city this morning, where all PCTs will be for a few days to complete our training. This includes a policy test and an oral language test. Tomorrow we plan to walk to a cool resort island (assuming the tide is low enough... which it's supposed to be), bask in our Palangi-ness (even though swimming is illegal on Sundays.) This afternoon we will debrief about our site attachments, then we are going to Carols by the Sea...by the sea, haha. It's all Christmasy and such, so it should be fun. Tongans love to hiva (sing), and I've heard Christmas songs on the radio since early Okatopa (October). However, the brightness of Christmas isn't prevalent here. We'll see random Christmas lights strung in random houses or porches or businesses, but the whole celebration thing doesn't happen here. Some families have feasts, but most just have a typical Tongan meal with their families and go back home to mohe. The week after Christmas is called Uike Lotu (Prayer Week), where many churches hold services every day; everyone is expected to live quietly and use the week to pray, obviously. Even though daily services under the direction of a man I won't understand sounds boring (and will be...especially since I'm at a Wesleyan schools and Wesleyan services tend to be verrrrry long), it'll be a great way to integrate into the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment