Sunday, April 3, 2011

Little Reminders that I'm Not in America Anymore

We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
I went on a spending spree today because I need lots of things for my house--'Eua is not good with having useful things other than rice, soy sauce, and other such normalities, but I load up in Tongatapu.
I spent who knows how much within 2 hours, but at one store, I'll recant my grocery list. You can do the math and be shocked and awed at the difference in products in America and in a third-world, island country.
2 boxes of milk
2 boxes of Weet Bix cereal (Berry mix and Apricot! woot woot!)
3 oranges
3 pears
1 pack of stickers

How much? (In Tonga, this is "'oku fiha'?"
$53.80

Yikes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Kaitlin's mom here aka the blog stalker (of course I have to - my daughter has slowed down on blog postings). Love reading your blog and that is an incredible amount of money for a very small amount of food. Enjoy your time on the "big" island!

    ReplyDelete