Monday, May 9, 2011

Cream Cheese, Kitten Rescues, and Alphabet Shenanigans

Hello dearest readers,
I know you are just DYING to know about my life right now. Unfortunately, my newest 'tale' will have to come at the end of the week because I'm starving and have been doing as much internet'ing as possible on a terribly slow connection. So here goes.
1. As of yesterday, I had 24 mosquito bites on my left leg, and 18 on my right.
2. I rescued a small kitten in a tree while walking yesterday morning. I named it Felipe (I've always wanted a cat named Felipe) but decided to give it to a student because having a 'pet' here is a bit of a foreign concept, and the thought of taking care of a meowing, pooping, peeing thing and then leaving it here after I leave... just sounds terrible to me. Ask my parents--keeping a pet was never really my thing. The whole bad memory thing isn't good when a living thing needs food and such.
3. I've had good lessons this week! We're working on forming sounds... and have a whole 10-minute morning system where we work on pronunciations. Credit to my sister and niece, Ella: the Leap Frog (I think?) alphabet video has totally changed the way we say our alphabet. "The A says ___, the A says __, every letter makes a sound the A says ___" totally works, because we say all the vowel sounds, then use letter combinations for a routine called the "Phonics Dance" that I got from a couple of PCVs here. Totally rad.
4. I am becoming an excellent food compiler. I had leftover Tongan food (fried chicken, 'ufi (basically, a yam/grainy potato), and some fresh pele (like spinach) and turned it into an amazing soup that I will finish for lunch today. I'm transforming, people! It's awesome!
5. I wish I had cream cheese in my life.

That's all for now. I must skidaddle before I start eating the keyboard.
For rapidity's sake, here is a link to the Camp GLOW 'Eua donation page! My next blog will be about this, so look at it for a few minutes and consider if you're interested... then I will WOW you with all the amazing details, contrived in my own Jamie-lingo, of course.

https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=421-132

Toodles, dear readers! PS, when you drive to or from work, stop somewhere (ice cream shop, coffee place, donut shop) and get yourself a yummy treat in my honor. :) Though I won't make either of those, I'm baking some fresh bread tonight. So cheers to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment