Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fetongi (Change)

I just finished a delicious Chinese soy bean drink after spending $100.
Let's reflect.
In the Month of May, I spend $86. Total. And in an hour, I spent $100. Counting the Soy Bean goodness, it's obvious: I'm in the capital.
Not only that. I LIVE there.

I am the new Gender and Development (GAD) Coordinator for PC Tonga! I am working with Tonga Family Health (basically Plan Parenthood...which is awesome), and will be the head hancho for Camp GLOW (Girls Leading Our World). There are other responsibilities including health projects and other gender-focused projects, but that's the low-down and I am TOTALLY EXCITED!

So what happened?
I loved my community in 'Eua...I became integrated with more families, loved all my students, and liked my house and location...but school was a problem.
As a volunteer, I am placed in a school/community thatis willing to support a volunteer, but who needs the volunteer's support in some way of improving life. Mine was in Education. So I taught English, worked on the library, and tried to work with my principal and counterpart however they needed help. But I was playing tug-of-war when the other side of the rope was vacant. (Technically, I don't think that makes sense, but I like it.) My teachers were extremely nice, but the willingness to support me was...unclear, nonexistent, and slightly confused. Basically, they weren't prepared to meet the responsibilities and accountabilities of having a PCV, so things just didn't work out. It was a sad farewell with my students and community, but I am too excited about my new job to be too down about life.

So...YAY! More to come soon. Just wanted to update!

No comments:

Post a Comment