Monday, October 17, 2011

How 'bout a little touch?

My prognosis? Unidentified. My ulnar nerve (think elbow/funny bone) is irritated, but perfectly functional. The pain in my arm, however, is some random, phantom cause of which the doctor found no culprit. So I'm back.
And, naturally, have decided to join a touch-rugby team. :)



At first, I thought, "Hey, it's rugby, I'm not chucking the ball under or over-handed, so no problem." Didn't think about how side-ways the toss was...or how similar the spins were to fast-pitch.
My shoulder is quite sore, of course (as are most other body parts), but I had a BLAST! I play on a team with a few PCVs and some Tongans I've yet to meet, so due to our low number, we scrimmaged with the big boys (and some tough girls, too.) A Kiwi friend said to me, "Man, this team is now half-PC."
"That's what we do," I said, "Take over."
"Oh, Americans," he replied. (Snicker, snicker.)

Anyway, we practiced with a legit rugby team. I learned the basics, finally trained myself NOT to run in front (oh, my flag football days had me recalling plays and running patterns...sigh). The pattern to touch-rugby is quite rhythmical--almost like a teasing choreographed dance because everything is so stop-and-go. You get 5 touches (or downs), and the last touch is where there's a bit more strategy and such. When you've been touched, you place the ball between your legs and run to the side, where the driver tosses it to someone else and the next 'down' begins. It's all very fast-paced. Also, defense is man-to-man (oh, all these American sports metaphors), where I got burned a couple of times trying to play zone. Also on defense, you have to stay 5 yards back, which is particularly tough when you touch someone and immediately have to go against momentum and retreat backwards.
I got in a couple of good runs (my specialty in flag football), though due to my out-of-shape-ed-ness, I've lost a couple of sprinting gears. I should work on that.

In the spirit of the Rugby World Cup, I've decided to challenge myself with a new sport, so that's cultural integration, I reckon. I finally watched a full game--New Zealand vs. Australia in the semi-finals--and despite watching a fountain of blood spray from an Aussie nose, and despite nearly falling asleep, the sport seems pretty promising.
I just wish I'd brought my cleats. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment