Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Update-Cramming... New Posts to Come Momentarily

So my amazing brother bought me a beautiful leather-bound journal from B&N so I can document my adventures as a PCV in Tonga, so I will catch up the weeks lost by typing some of my journal entries. Enjoy!

Day 1-- Thurs, Oct. 7

In the past 24 hours, I've experienced a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The 10 1/2 hour plane ride from LA to Samoa to Nuku'alofa (abode of love, by translation) messed with my inner clock, my stomach, and my ability to focus in a room full of Tongans. The stomach has made more gargling sounds than an over-stuffed pool drain. The ride totally messed me up as far as food/digestion goes. Ick.
When we landed in Samoa, it was humid but beautiful with one side full of sea and the other full of mountains. We were there for a very short time.
--Awesome airport welcome
--Kava ceremony--it tastes like a liquid tree (because the root is from a tree)
--Walked to sea, saw 13 islands
--walked with pigs on dirt road
--"Palangi! Palangi! Hello!"--cute Tongan kid
--bashful kids on road were surprised when I greeted with "Malo e lelei"
--lots of compliments on my Tree of Life necklace...thanks Aunt Laura!
--feast with purple sweet potatoes
--I realized I forgot my brush and shirts I intended to bring
--Huge friggin spider in shower
--new nickname: "Kentucky"
--still haven't called home
--dancer with oil and money

No comments:

Post a Comment